Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fireworks on the Fourth of July

I love watching fireworks on July 4. It's probably one of my favorite free things to do. This year, I got to sit in the back of our SUV watching the fireworks over a river with my family. It was peaceful as we watched the explosions of color while munching on a pizza.

But the fireworks produced by my local community pale in comparison to the displays I remember years ago in New York. Back in the mid-1980s, around 1986 or 1987, I was privileged to witness the best fireworks display ever. The Statue of Liberty had recently been refurbished, and the City of New York had partnered with some wealthy, prominent families to shoot off the fireworks around Battery Park. The display was breathtaking. I stood in the center of Battery Park with my family and watched a 360-degree display of pyrotechnics surround me. Everywhere I looked, a shooting star or starburst was there. I still remember it vividly. And that one display ruined me forever to any minor fireworks displays.

Happy Birthday America!
Now, let's go daytripping!

No comments:

Post a Comment