Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Go Florida daytripping or do real work -- my dilemma this weekend

I love daytripping. And with work and my children's school, I don't have a whole lot of time to go Florida exploring during the week. So Saturday is my only day to really play.

If I had my way, I would not stay home at all on the weekends. I would always be on the go, whether playing close to home or visiting other areas in Florida. I've lived here about 20 years and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't seen the entire state yet. I've never been to the Keys or seen the caverns in the Panhandle. They are both on my to-do list.

But, being a grown-up, I also have to listen to my adult conscience and remember that someone still has to clean the house and do the shopping. And, with active children, weekends also mean soccer games or birthday parties.

That is my situation this weekend. I think I'm grounded. I have tons of errands that I have been putting off. I should clean the entire house and rid myself of mega-clutter. I really need to have a garage sale, perhaps to make money so I can go visiting Florida next weekend or during the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday. Because, seriously, I would much rather spend my money on a great getaway than on any thing that is only going to take up space in my house.

I've decided to get my children involved in the yard sale. I've given them each two boxes and told them they must fill them with items from their room they want to sell -- of course, I have to approve those items. I wouldn't want someone to get the idea of selling his school uniforms or school books. On the yard sale day, the child will get his own little spot in which to set up his "stand." Whatever the child sells from his spot, he gets to keep the money.

I figure this will give my children part ownership and buy-in of this yard sale, as well as keep them out of my hair for most of the sale.

Those of you who are lucky enough to get out this weekend -- have a great time for me. I'll be dreaming of my next escape as I barter with strangers over my junk.

Happy Daytripping!

1 comment:

  1. I'm right there with you. Every weekend or holiday calls to me likea siren"come out and play." If I happen to pop onto the Florida State Park website then I'm usually done for. Then that annoying little voice pops up in the back of my head. There are no elves that will come in the middle of the night and do all the laundry and dishes. The money tree in the backyard died years ago. The house isn't self-healing anymore so you're going to have to fix that broken eclectically plate yourself. Annoying as it is, that adult voice keeps me grounded (and sometimes entertained.) But on those weekends that the little jerk just won't shut up, I still get my fix by finding somewhere to walk or by just taking the kids in the backyard and going on a scavenger hunt. It's not quite as much fun but I think it still teaches my kids about response sibilty and priorities. In the end it's about quality time with the family and that can come almost anywhere...after 4 loads of laundry, a sink full of dishes and a vacuum.

    Jason

    http://dadquest.com

    ReplyDelete