Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Halloween weekend -- lots of free things to do as a family

Halloween weekend is just a few days away. I've already booked us up with activities.
With so many free activities to do in our area on the east coast of Florida, there is no way I'm sitting home. I already know I'm in competition with my son's obsession with ClubPenguin, a children's web site featuring penguins, which also is holding an online Halloween party. Staying home means watching him play on the computer for hours.
No, thank you.
The activities have already begun, with free events at Michael's Crafts to make and take masks and other art projects during the week. Trick-or-treating at the mall, Halloween parades and costume contests by the city recreation department, and harvest festivals at local churches also are scheduled this weekend.
"You know, he doesn't have to do everything," my husband remarked this morning as I was rattling off the list of activities for the weekend.
"I know," I responded. But inside I was thinking, "Yes, he does. If he wants to." He only will be little for a few more years. By the time he becomes a teenager, he won't want to do these fun, free events. Besides, most of these activities are outside, where he can have fun AND get some fresh air away from the computer.
And most of these activities are free, or low cost. I only spent $1 on his headless man costume, finding most everything else at the house.
Most cities in Florida are planning Halloween parades or costume contests on Saturday. Check with your city or local newspaper for time and location. Churches are a great place to find Harvest festivals with free bounce houses, candy giveaways and games.
You don't have to spend a lot of money at these events. But you will create a lot of warm memories.
Happy Daytripping! And Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment